The faculty mourns the death of Peter Kulka (20.7.1937-5.2.2024)

  Peter Kulka Copyright: © Michael Dolinski & Ferda Kolotan
09/02/2024
 

Prof. Peter Kulka passed away on 5 February. The Faculty of Architecture at RWTH Aachen University is deeply saddened by the loss of a colleague who had been Professor of Constructive Design since 1986 and who, despite a highly remunerated offer from the university, decided to work as a freelance architect in 1992 and bid a permanent farewell to his professorship. In his heart and in his memory, he is a colleague who left his mark, especially in terms of the quality and creative power of architecture. Peter Kulka not only visited an era but actually shaped it, from his studies in the GDR with Selman Selmanagic and Hermann Henselmann to his work with Hans Scharoun and his office partnership with Hans Schilling. His buildings characterise the architectural landscape in Germany, from the Abbey Church in Königsmünster from 1956 to the conversion of the Senckenberg Nature Museum in Frankfurt am Main, and currently being realised is the conversion of the Robotron industrial complex in Dresden into a residential landscape. The plenary hall of the Saxon state parliament in Dresden is certainly one of his most important works and we can hope that the extension of the state parliament will be completed in his spirit. We in Aachen are also thinking about the challenging extension of the Leopold Hoesch Museum in Düren.

His fierce passion for modernism fitted perfectly into the profile of the Faculty of Architecture at RWTH and remains an obligation. He gave many students the decisive impetus for their later careers, actually preparing them to never give up the aspiration to make the world a better place through architecture.

We, the Faculty of Architecture at RWTH Aachen University, will hold his memory in the highest honour.